Re: [opensuse-buildservice] concept for osc handling merge requests
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:00:10 +0100
On Monday 10 March 2008 14:37:23 wrote Dr. Peter Poeml:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 02:27:32PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Monday 10 March 2008 13:39:25 wrote Dr. Peter Poeml:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:32:03PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Monday 10 March 2008 13:28:46 wrote Dr. Peter Poeml:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 01:25:23PM -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 12:37 +0100, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

How are multiple mergereq's for the same
package handled? (Maybe we should try to apply all the rdiffs?).

There is no plan for that. As far as I see, a second request could
be a) a new one from a previous submitter, or
b) from someone else, and another source package.

In a), the first request is probably obsoleted by the second one
(if it comes from the same source). Thus, it would be good from my
perspective of a packager to attach a "obsoletes XY" note. Or I
could probably go ahead and delete the request that I created
earlier.

In b), the request recipient will probably choose one of the two
requests, or try to apply them subsequently.

In any case, the first submit could conflict with the other one. So
it is IMHO always better to accept them one after one to see, if it
does still apply.

As far as I understand the current draft of how the "apply" step is
going to be implemented, it _always_ applies. Because it is going to be
a simple copy, overwriting what's there, and not a diff which is
applied.

That is not the point, the point is that you may not WANT to merge the
second one, because it may not apply anymore. It is better that the
upstream project does fix it again instead of merge it also and have
broken sources in the target project.

I'm afraid, I can't understand this. Could you explain what you wrote in
a little more detail? What do you mean with "upstream project" and "fix
it again"?

If you followed the thread, you may note that I referred to the
proposition "try to apply all the rdiffs" -- which does not reflect the
planned implementation. What I tried to point out is that there is no
concept of a diff which can either apply, or not apply because it
doesn't 'fit' anymore. Do you have a different view?

For example, there is a project "Factory" with a package "kernel" and there
are multiple submit requests to this project and package from Project A, B
and C.

When the owner of "Factory" decides to accept the merge request from "B", this
change in may break the changes in "A" and "C".

In this case it is better to accept "B" and check back if "A" and "C" can
still apply their changes and maybe you want also want to wait, if they will
still build.

bye
adrian