Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstreamversions?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:51:19 +0100
On Thursday 06 March 2008 22:52:12 wrote Christian Boltz:
Hello,

on Mittwoch, 5. März 2008, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:03:24AM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Yes, we want to link from software.o.o to the project in build.o.o,
where a bugzilla link exists.

That "link" you talk about is virtually useless.

Do you really think any _user_ goes there (after creating an account
in the buildservice) to find the package that the bug concerns, goes
then to bugzilla (after creating an account), and enters the report?

yes, I do.

I do know that they don't atm, but I would like to see more and more users
also participating in our development. For instance, when they do not like a
package description or anything easy to handle for them, I would like to see
that they make their suggestions directly, it would save any extra time to
create bugzilla reports and to handle them by others.

With that in mind, the question is how we can get there. One important thing
is a link from software.o.o to the project in build.o.o I think.

Any further ideas ?

But maybe someone can give numbers which prove the existance of such
bug reports? I certainly don't want to be ignorant here.

There are some bugreports in bugzilla already: product "opensuse.org" /
component "3rd party software".

Given that the bugreporting link is quite new and probably many projects
still didn't set a bug owner, I'd name it a good start.

True, we could run a script and set a default everywhere (for example just
picking the first person of the project).

Would someone complain about this ?

(I added a bugowner line into the osc templates for new projects/packages now,
need to check how it get handled in the web client.)

However, you are right that reporting a bug against a package in the
build service is too difficult - you have to login to
(build.)opensuse.org to find the bugowner / bugzilla link and then
again to (bugzilla.)novell.com to enter the bugreport.

Long time ago, when the bugreporting link was discussed, I proposed to
use a little script on bugzilla.novell.com that basically enforces the
login and then redirects from ...?user=username to
enter_bug.cgi?assigned_to=mail@xxxxxxxxxxx&...[correct component etc.]

This method would only need one login (at bugzilla) while still being
spam-proof since it only contains the username, not the mail address.
The link could be published everywhere (software.o.o, Packager: tag
etc.) as a direct bugreporting link.

For reasons I don't know the current, IMHO awkward, solution which needs
two logins was chosen instead. [That's not meant as an offence, I just
mention it as a fact.]

We could create direct bugzilla links in software.o.o to buzilla, but it would
expose the email adress to spammers.... For that reason, we decided to go via
authentificated build.o.o for now, it should be usually just one mouse click
more (given you use the browsers login/password filling).

With a later software.o.o (maybe via the softwareportal), where we have also
an optional login there (anyway used for user feedback, comments and so on),
we can make direct bugzilla links as well, hopefully. Actually the idea is
that also bugzilla links to other bugzillas beside Novells will become
possible.

bye
adrian