Re: [opensuse-buildservice] ANN: Yet Another Build Service Client
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:23:51 +0100
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 03:59:48 -0400, James Oakley wrote:
On March 5, 2008, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
I once wrote a graphical application, and I found wxPython most pythonic
to work with... but I'm not generally to trust when it comes to
graphical applications ;)

I learned Qt long before Python, and I really like it. I think the
signal/slot
mechanism is brilliant. The data model stuff in Qt4 is also very cool, and
eliminates the ListView/ListItem stuff that annoyed me in previous releases.

Unfortunately, some of the things that makes Qt great in C++ can get in the
way in Python. You have to do some things the Qt way, especially with strings
and lists. This can result in excessive casting.

I've tried wx before, but I didn't really like it. That was probably mostly
due to my previous Qt experience, but I have noticed that compatibilty gets
broken a lot between releases. It seems that every time I try a wx app, the
wx on my system is either too old or too new.

I would say that Tk is probably the most Pythonic toolkit, but the widgets
are
pretty bare-bones and I prefer signals/slots to callbacks.

I see. I didn't dive in so far, and I never had to update my little app,
so I didn't get into that situation.

And, contrary to many other people I have no Qt experience, so that's
probably what put me off.

Of course, I spend most of my time writing network code, so I'm probably not
the best person to ask. :-)

:-)

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the app,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development
< Previous Next >