Re: [opensuse-buildservice] "closed" build service
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:08:50 +0100
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:36:04PM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 15:25, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:26:41 +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
Aren't sources something for developers not users?

It is not only about sources. Think about a bug tracker for example.
Changelogs. Finding out who's responsible and get in touch. I'm sure
you catch my drift.

Ah, you are talking about generally making the build service data available
for users not logged in. That's something which certainly would be nice. For
most of the data the only reason for logging in should be, if you want to
edit it.

Yes, indeed -- that's what I meant!

It would be the most natural thing, to make as much data available as
possible.

I mean, people do all kind of things with that information, that we
don't necessarily envision. They write scripts which screen-scrape
information and make it available otherwise. They write articles and
want to look aroud for that. They are developing somewhere else (other
distro, upstream) and want to compare. I mean, all the stuff that guys
like us did with other applications also ;)

Hidden behind some awkward "ichain" authentication, a lot of potential
is in vain.

And if you feel it's okay to put up barriers like that for developers, I
can say I don't agree with you :-)

I thought you said that in "Accounts are nice for developers" ;-). I don't
want to put up any barriers (not even for developers). The more open the
Build Service is the better.

Indeed.

I don't know how many people have an openid account. I for one don't
have one. So it doesn't make any difference for me.

Hundreds of millions of people have OpenID accounts (e.g. all Yahoo or AOL
users) and the number is growing. So chances are becoming higher and higher
that somebody who wants to log in into the Build Service already has an
OpenID account somewhere.

I didn't know that -- sounds promising.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH