Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstreamversions?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:03:24 +0100

Christian Morales Vega wrote:
Sometimes do you find packages in the OBS that are outdated. You never
know why, perhaps the packager doesn't knows about the new upstream
version and perhaps he knows but is just busy.
Up to now when I found such a case I reported it like an "Enhancement"
bug in bugzilla. But some packagers think bugzilla isn't the correct
place for such a thing.

If the packager doesn't knows about the new version he can leave the
package outdated for a long time. So would be good that, at some time,
if an user finds the problem he reports it. But, how should be
reported? There is any feature planned in the OBS to help with this?
What other distros do?

A very good point.

Personally, I think Bugzilla is the best place to report it.
It also makes it much easier to track the status.

I think another approach would make sense: users could report it on
software.opensuse.org since that's where they look for software.

Then we just need a way to mail the relevant packagers about this "new
upstream" report.

Yes, we want to link from software.o.o to the project in build.o.o, where a
bugzilla link exists.

However, I think we should also concentrate to get the upstream mechanism also
working on the server and change our packages to use it. We can try to scan
upstream automatically and notify the packager, maybe even try an automated
build with ugraded version ...