Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Projects cleanup (was: One common community repository in BuildService?)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:59:28 +0100
On Friday 25 January 2008 09:28:49 wrote Dominique Leuenberger:
Hello,

On 25-01-2008 at 09:59, Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Adrian Schröter wrote:
However, when you have suggestions like, put project A and B and C

together

D, we should really discuss and consider it here. Because I agree

that we

can

reduce the number of projects.

Ok. Some suggestions for cleanup.

a) Move contents of "net-snmp" into "network:utilities".

b) Move "filesharing" into "network:" tree.

c) Move contents of "Subversion" into "devel:tools".

d) Move "ggz" into "games:" tree

e) Move "editors" into "devel:" tree.

Looks like some sane suggestions... editors -> devel appears a bit
strange... but I can't see a better point neither and it's very few
packages there.

Why is Apache for example an own Top-Level project? I would suppose it
in server:http (as a subproject or whatever) Apache serves little other
than http server.

I would like just point out some things. Project definitions (and even the
names) are not meant to help finding stuff. Therefore we have the web
interfaces (or we need to improve them if not sufficiant, but I would like to
skip this discussion for now).

Joining projects have the consequence that:

* a larger common list of people with write access to it. This might not be
acceptable in all cases. Esp. for apache I can see an argument, that server
admins might only want to trust the official openSUSE packagers. (This does
not mean that there can't be another, let's say Apache:Community project).

* Joint projects need to ensure that they have nothing inside where they
conflict. The failure of delivering a joint repo with KDE and Gnome
packages in the past proves this point as important ...

* All packages needs to be able to use the same base repos. This does not
work out always, when for example the latest stack is needed for some
packages. But other packages want to stick with the original stack from
the distro to avoid problems updating it.
(The feature of KDE:Backports project is that it does not require to
update also to the latest KDE. This is a big improvement for people
who just want a single app.)

So, joining projects can only be done if the upper things can get fullfilled.

Beside that, several of the suggestion are just moves. Btw, we can do the
moves and add a rule to our redirector to avoid that users need to re-add the
repos. However, I would like to get rid of these rules in the long run again.

ASCIIParadize is mainly games... maybe games: (there are 2 games...
could not identify what the hird package is). By name it sounds like a
space invaders ;)

ASCIIParadize was just our first test project ... I will check if we can
remove it ...

Banshee -> Multimedia
GPhoto -> Graphics

In general I think the 'one product' projects should not exist at
TopLevel.

Might be a valid rule ..