Re: [opensuse-buildservice] expansion error
  • From: Ben Martin <monkeyiq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:31:08 +1000

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 10:40 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 20 December 2007 09:34:24 wrote Ben Martin:
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:27 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 20 December 2007 06:24:38 wrote Jasem Mutlaq:
Hello,

I tried the build service for the first time today, and I was quite
amazed how handy and versatile it is!

My package requires fxload, and this didn't pose any problems under
OpenSUSE 10.3 and Fedora 8, but for xUbuntu 7.10 I got the following
error:

expansion error nothing provides fxload

What would be the resolution for this problem?

It seems this package is not provided for Ubuntu ?

Maybe under a different name, in that case we can map the name. However,
it would be cool, if you can find out what is the status in Ubuntu of
that package :)

The problem is that fxload is in Universe and not the core 7.10 distro.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/admin/fxload
My adhoc solution to this for my builds has been to import the source
from ubuntu universe into a subproject and link that to my ubuntu 7.10
repository.

Perhaps the entire ubuntu universe can be added to OBS? I'm not sure of
the overall size but it would be nice to be able to just target
ubuntu 7.10 + universe
when building packages with OBS.

The problem with that is, that universe is a moving target. We can never
know,
if the univerese of Ubuntu does still work together with our copy. And we do
not have the power for daily syncs and rebuilds.

I was only thinking of having the ability to maybe have a binary mirror
of universe... it didn't occur to me to actually rebuild it all every
day :/ Not that I doubt that OBS could do it, but from the roasting of
CPU for no gain angle.

I have a Ubuntu7.10universe subproject myself because for whatever
reason the Ubuntu guys list some parts of boost in universe (mainly the
-dev packages so you can *Use* boost in the main distro but need
universe if you want to compile against boost).
eg;
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/libdevel/libboost-graph-dev

For those interested my ubuntu universe rebuilds are in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amonkeyiq%
3AUbuntu_7.10Universe

I'd be happy to migrate these to an Ubuntu:7_10:Universe or whatever
common repository. One upside of having such a common repo would be
being able to include it in the web interface, so you can check "include
common extras from universe" or something on your xUbuntu 7.10 repo in
your OBS project.

So, I am very much in favour of adding a Ubuntu:*:Extra project for example
where we can build and provide such needed extra tools like fxload. In this
way, the user can get a working version and we can trigger rebuilds when we
update it. (Maybe fxload is not a good example here, but think of any library
what may miss).

I think stuff like boost and xercesc are quite annoying being in
universe for easy builds of software for ubuntu using OBS. I'm not sure
how you would admin such a repo/project. If you use the same interface
and just add folks or maintain a request interface for folks to ask for
packages and have them magically appear...