Re: [opensuse-buildservice] offline build support (was: New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:11:40 +0100
On Friday 26 October 2007 21:24:52 wrote Michael Wolf:
On Tue, 2007-23-10 at 13:46 +0200, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:30:47PM -0500, Michael Wolf wrote:
Also, is any sort of offline support in the works? --no-init helps in
this regard, but you still need to phone home for every build, which is
bad for those of us with slow network connections, and worse when the
network goes out. I don't want this nearly as badly as I want to use
distributed revision control, though.

Adding an offline mode to osc build shouldn't be a problem. It just
needs a commandline switch, and a way to store the last retrieved
buildinfo and buildconfig in order to use it again. If someone has an
idea how to implement this, it would be very welcome.

No, it doesn't sound hard, although I haven't had a chance to give it a
go yet.

We'd need to determine whether --no-init should imply such an offline
mode. I think it shouldn't, because --no-init is IMO mainly used to
shorten build times, not to work in offline mode.

I think that --no-init and (a hypothetical) --offline are orthogonal.
In practice I imagine they'd frequently be used in conjunction, but
that's no reason to conflate them. Having said that, once --offline
exists, it might be worthwile to add another flag, maybe "--fast" or
something, that does combine them.

right...

The problem with --noinit (and also with any --offline) is that changed
BuildRequires (either changed spec file or changed project setups) will have
no effect. It can puzzle someone, if some changes in the spec file have an
effect and others do not have ...

So, I think --noinit is a better name, since it shows that some part of
processing is skipped. --offline would presume that you have 100% of
functionality IMHO.

bye
adrian