Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Looking for a good tutorial
  • From: Filip Brcic <brcha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 03:05:25 +0100

Дана недеља 28 октобар 2007, Aniruddha је написао(ла):
I just have activated my account on build.opensuse.org and I wonder
where do I find information about creating packages with buildservice?
Thanks in advance!

Short answer: there is no tutorial, you are supposed to know how to make rpms
before you apply for your account (in order to make it useful).

Longer answer: You should read the resources available on how to make RPM
packages (good sourrce is: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/ - Maximum RPM
book or http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ - Fedora's RPM
guide and, of course
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/SUSE_Package_Conventions - SUSE packaging
conventions) and afterwards you can learn how to use the splendid
console "osc" tool to ease package maintaining and to transform it to
something quite similar to a version control system
(http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service_Tutorial).

Constructive answer: Since there is no real tutorial on how to make packages
using openSUSE build service, maybe we could make a tutorial on that topic.
RPM Max is quite obsolete, there is Fedora's RPM tutorial which is much more
up-to-date, but there is nothing more available. Whoever thinks that (s)he is
capable to do something like that could answer this message and then we could
all start a new en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Tutorial page (or whatever)
where we whould have a good tutorial on how to make RPM packages using
openSUSE build service. I will help as much as I know and as much as I have
enough of free time, as long as I am not the only one involved (since I don't
think I have enough free time to maintain such a tutorial myself).

- --
Filip Brcic <brcha@xxxxxxx>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/
Jabber: brcha@xxxxxxxxxxx