Re: [opensuse-buildservice] distributed SCM
  • From: David Cournapeau <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:08:30 +0900
Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

One (general) thing to consider is that the bar shouldn't be set too
high for newcomers. I encounter a surprising number of buildservice
users, who don't even use osc, but only the web frontend. I assume that
many are not proficient users of SCMs. To me it seems that an svn-like
approach might be easier for them to get the grasp, then the distributed
approach. It might only due to my own ignorance, of course. Anyway, it
doesn't mean that I discourage applying a distributed SCM paradigm to
the buildservice. The contrary is true, I think it could be a sane way
to couple the internal and external buildsystem together (and others).
I think the idea that distributed models are more difficult is totally bogus. I've never understood subversion: I mean, when you want to use it for your own projects, you have to know about servers, branches, trunk, tags and other concepts which are not obvious at all (and make no sense for some type of projects). I just want to track different version and merge them. When I discovered bzr (and I would guess this is true for other DSCM), all this made sense, and I did not need to read a book to understand it. For tracking versions, for collaborating with other, I find DSCM much easier to handle.

I really think the only reason why some people think CVS or subversion is easier is because they are so much used to it. For someone like me who never really understood svn (and never used it for much more than checking other projects' code), DSCM are certainly easier to use.

cheers,

David