Re: [opensuse-buildservice] offline build support (was: New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap)
  • From: Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:35:53 +0200
On 2007-10-23 13:46:16 +0200, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:30:47PM -0500, Michael Wolf wrote:
Also, is any sort of offline support in the works? --no-init helps in
this regard, but you still need to phone home for every build, which is
bad for those of us with slow network connections, and worse when the
network goes out. I don't want this nearly as badly as I want to use
distributed revision control, though.

Adding an offline mode to osc build shouldn't be a problem. It just
needs a commandline switch, and a way to store the last retrieved
buildinfo and buildconfig in order to use it again. If someone has an
idea how to implement this, it would be very welcome.

Hmm I'm not quite sure if such an --offline feature makes much sense.
The packagecachedir (where osc stores the downloaded rpms) has to be always
in sync with the "latest buildinfo" file. This is no problem when this package
only uses rpms from the "standard" repo (which won't get rebuilded) but
if this package uses files from its own project it could be a problem.

Example:

latest buildinfo.xml (which can be stored in the pac/.osc/ dir):
<bdep name="xyz" version="2.2.0" release="4.1" arch="i586" project="abc"
repository="openSUSE_10.3" />

packagecachedir: xyz-2.2.0-3.1.i586.rpm

=> fetching this package from the cachedir will fail because it is
out of date/the "buildinfo.xml" is too new.

In this case it might be better to use build/lbuild manually instead of
using "osc build".

Marcus