Re: [opensuse-buildservice] [RFC] General use of enable/disable flags.
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:16:27 +0100
Hello,

on Mittwoch, 14. März 2007, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
[...]
> 3.3. Interaction between "build" and "publish"
>
> 3.3.c build disabled and publish enabled
>
> If publishing of a package is enabled and you disable a package,
> the old packages will be purged in the public repository.

I don't think this is a good idea ;-)

Use case:
You are "playing" with a package update and want to save CPU cycles by
disabling all but one build target until everything builds as needed.

It would be a bad idea to delete the old, but working packages from the
public repository in this case...

Or, even simpler: you first click "disable build" and then "disable
publish" - if the server is too fast, the packages will be deleted...

> The other option is to add a purge command to the api and let
> the user purge the rpms manually.

Yes, please - that's a much better way.

> Use case:
> This way you can remove broken packages from the repository.

> 3.3.d build disabled and publish disabled
>
> If publishing of a package is disabled when you disable building of a
> package, the old packages will be preserved.

This would probably also help when "playing" with package updates - but
I guess many people will (accidently) not disable publish...

> 3.3 "usedforbuild"
> --------------------
>
> The default remains enabled.
>
> Use case:
> Allow building of gcc snapshots without breaking your own project.

Good idea.

If possible, I'd like to have a possibility to use the package for a
specific package while basically not using it.

Use case:
Package foobar needs a brand-new version of gcc to compile, but most
other packages work with the gcc version from the distribution.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Diese Message wurde erstellt mit freundlicher Unterstützung eines frei-
laufenden Pinguins aus artgerechter Freilandhaltung. Er ist garantiert