Re: [opensuse-buildservice] linking to packages built with the build service
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:19:19 +0100
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:57:44PM +0100, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> and now compare to:
> downlaod xxx.rpm
> su -c "rpm -i xxx.rpm"
>
> missing libfoo.so.2
> what package contains libfoo.so.2?

If you have a huge amount of complicated dependencies this might become a
problem but in _most_ cases it is just as simple as installing one package on
an average system.

I think we shouldn't optimize the process for the complicated cases completely
ignoring the average case.

> and for all the user faults above you cant blame the tools either.

That's right. But on the other side it is also a fact that for most cases
installing with the command line rpm tool is much faster than using a complex
installer. You can't just argue this away.

> last but not least most suseconfig scripts are optimized to only run the
> heavy stuff when needed.

Sure. But they are often sill annoying if you just want to install one really
stupid RPM package.

This whole discussion reminds me somehow to the discussion we did about
drpmsync when I implemented my own version that no longer relies on existence
of a drpmsync server (which was often down for a long time). I was always told
about some corner cases where my implementation might have problems. Since I
implemented that I use it with Eberhard's reliable server without having any
big problem since then.

Now you are doing the same again: Although you seem to fear that the
redirector might not stand the load you make it the base of the decissions.
For the long term this will again create a single point of failure.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker mailto:rschiele@xxxxxxxxx