Re: [opensuse-buildservice] linking to packages built with the build service
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:53:41 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Robert Schiele wrote:

> BTW: You should not underestimate the number of people using the rpm command
> line because it just saves you a lot of time of your life in many
> situations.

Yup.

Especially as "add a new installation source" means (openSUSE 10.2)
- Calling yast
- Enter password
- Call source manager
- about 3-10 minutes waiting for inst-source updates
- Getting URL (konqueror, firefox)
- Entering URL in inst-source (C&P)
- Retyping URL, as we forget directory or were a directory to deep
- Wait again, lots of clicks
- Go to installation
- about 3-10 minutes waiting again
- search the tool
- select the tool
- install the tool
- 3-5 minutes waiting for SuSE config

Compared to
- wget URL:xxx.rpm
- su -c "rpm -i xxx.rpm"
- Enter password

I only do the above for tools I want to be kept updated all the time.

Ciao