Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Promote meaningful changelog entries!
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:26:04 +0100
> From a packagers point of view it really boils down to "update to version
> x.y". But if you look at it from a user's point of view, it's much more
> convenient to not having to go to some URL to figure out what actually
> changed and why you should upgrade. This also holds true, especially, for
> our Autobuild folks, who review all submissions into Factory (and other
> distros). Prj. Managers appreciate those detailed changes, too!
>
> I totally agree this takes some time and can be quite tedious sometimes.. ;)

For me this sounds like mixing up the layers. If I read "update to whatever"
then it is not really a hard job to go to the URL (which is often in the
package description as well) and look up the details about the software
changes there if this is what I am interested in.

If you mix in the changes to the software into the changes that the packager
did to the package it becomes much more difficult to find what the _packager_
actually did to the package.

In my opinion the package changelog is neither a good place to replace
communication infrastructure to your manager nor it is a good place to do
customer marketing. I still consider the changelog to be a log to track
changes you did.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele