Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Help needed for Packaging
  • From: James Oakley <jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:44:39 -0300
On Thursday 21 September 2006 6:14 pm, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> What search function ? ;)

That's being worked on. The build service is still under development,
obviously.

> > So, how do we reconcile?
>
> Good question.
> An ideal solution would be to have some sort of package database with a
> search frontend and it would then show a reference to the repository
> that has it. Problem is, it cannot be hosted @ novell/opensuse.org
> because it would reference packages like ... you know which ones ;)

That's a good idea. There have been places like rpmfind and rpmseek, but they
were not ideal for various reasons.

I already committed myself to building a backend in the short term, but I
would like to return to this at some point...

> >> We definitely need better communication across community packagers.. or
> >> rather, all packagers. I really hoped openSUSE would be a channel for
> >> that, but it didn't happen,
> >
> > Isn't this the point of the buildservice? What's the problem?
>
> No I really mean communication between human beings (or bots ;)).
> Email, IRC, whatever.

Yes I know. We *are* talking through the buildservice mailing list, are we
not?

> > That's fine, I use your Amarok builds. However, it would be nice to be
> > able to subscribe to an "Amarok" repository and not worry about something
> > I don't want sneaking in.
>
> Yes and no.
> I'm really not sure it's the best approach.
> For someone who wants to use the latest versions of a lot of packages,
> that's a lot of repositories to subscribe to.

Provide a global repository as well. Someone requested that very feature in
the BS a while back.

> > Yes, there are always newer versions of any software. However, some of us
> > may want newer versions of one package, but not others. The buildservice
> > makes separation of projects or topics really easy.
>
> To me, the build service misses some key features to make it usable by
> beginners (the stuff I posted earlier in this thread).

We have the source to the frontend, so we can add any missing features. All of
the other existing systems, including yours and Packman's are completely
closed.

> + there are a lot of packages we cannot maintain in the BS for the
> reasons we all know

Ok. Maintain them somewhere else, but keep it open.

> > No. I use your Amarok. I was talking about ALSA, and stuff like imlib2,
> > libogg, and curl that has the potential to break other software since
> > they're linked to. There's no good reason to upgrade these things
> > willy-nilly. If there's a bug, it should be reported to SUSE.
>
> That's one option, but not necessarily everyone's preference.
> As long as it doesn't break the .so number, newer version is fine with
> me, at least for some packages.

I've seen developers break things without bumping the soversion.

> > Yes, but not everyone uses Factory, which does have the latest versions
> > of *all* software. The ability to have separate repositories is the key
> > here.
>
> I don't know, I don't think so. Or rather, it depends... lol
> If you look at KDE, Subversion or Apache, sure.
> If you look at my repository... how could I possibly split
> $ find . -type f -name '*.rpm' -a ! -name '*.src.rpm'|wc -l
> 10660
> ?

You already did:

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php

That looks good to me.

> > Ideally, they could get them from one place, in categories, like the
> > build service.
>
> Possibly. But it's not easy to use as it is now for less experienced users.
> (btw, we really miss installation_sources -a on 10.1)

Yes, it would be nice to have a click-to-add interface. You could do that
fairly easily with the repo files already generated in the buildservice:

http://repos.opensuse.org/Apache/SUSE_Linux_Factory/Apache.repo

> But for that example, I can give you 5-15 packages every single day that
> do not break nor create new security issues.
> A single case hardly makes a rule.

Sure, but don't you want to decrease risk? Not worrying about security issues
is how machines get broken into.

> Categorization and single repos is tough for me to manage. Way too many
> packages and not enough categories for all that.

You already did the work. See above.

> > I didn't say that. I just said that some upgraded packages have possible
> > unintended side-effects, which can break things. It happened to me with
> > Packman's alsa.
>
> Which is why I said: shit happens (and will happen again).

Fine, but why do it if there's no good reason to do it? There was no good
reason for a new ALSA package.

--
James Oakley
jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx