Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposal for project in root namespace: GNOME:*
  • From: JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:04:17 -0400
On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 11:17 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Friday 15 September 2006 15:31 schrieb Stanislav Brabec:
> > Hallo Build Service maintainers.
> >
> > We are just discussing on creating of Build Service projects for GNOME.
> >
> > Possible structure is:
> >
> > GNOME:GNOME-UNSTABLE
> > GNOME:GNOME216
>
> Hm, that would mean when there is a stable Gnome 2.18 all people needs to
> change their repository URLs ?
>
> We do not want to host two stable releases by default, if they are backward
> compatible, so that would mean that you remove 216 and add 218 at some point
> of time.

Yes, I think we should never handle more than 2 releases at one time.

> IMHO this is not a good idea, I would stick with a :STABLE and :UNSTABLE

Yes, I think so too, if people are subscribed to GNOME-STABLE we can
just define the channel via its description properly. If they want a
stable, consistent gnome with security updates they can stick to the
released product. They will also see in the updater its a massive
change and if they went to the trouble to subscribe to the GNOME-STABLE
channel they probably want the latest anyhow.

> > GNOME:EXTRAS
> >
> > Maybe there will be more projects or the final structure will be
> > different.
> >
> > Please comment suggested letter case and use "-" or "_" - whether to use
> > GNOME:216, GNOME:GNOME216, GNOME:Gnome216, GNOME:GNOME-2.16 or
> > GNOME:GNOME_2_16 to conform naming scheme of other projects in the Build
> > Service.
>
> We just had KDE:KDE3 and KDE:KDE4 yet (because they are incompatible and are
> installable in parallel). So when you want to copy this style you would get
>
> GNOME:GONME2
> GNOME:UNSTABLE

I don't think this is very discoverable GNOME:GNOME2-UNSTABLE maybe.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.