Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposal for project in root namespace: GNOME:*
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:18:53 +0200
Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Monday 18 September 2006 15:39 schrieb Stanislav Brabec:
> > Adrian Schröter wrote:
> > > Hm, that would mean when there is a stable Gnome 2.18 all people needs to
> > > change their repository URLs ?
> >
> > Yes. Exactly this was my intention.
> >
> > After GNOME 2.x 2.x+2 update, desktop often needs small reconfiguration
> > and some things may even disappear.
> >
> > Imagine that you are using 2.x and you will get 2.x+2 overnight. Your
> > desktop is now different, needs some work to adjust it, and may be even
> > less stable. And what is worse, there is no way to undo this change.
>
> That would be always a bug IMHO. How does a user do an update from openSUSE
> x.y to x.y+1 (or SLE) otherwise ?

openSUSE x.y to x.y+1 is updated by admin by reboot from install CD/DVD.
Unintentional upgrade can never happen there.

And user still has to do some things manually:
- Remove icon for evolution-2.4 from panel
- Add icon for evolution-2.6 to panel
- Remove old main menu and replace it by the new main menu (if intended)
- Renew icons on desktop with dumb icon.

> > That's a reason, why I would like to see stable versions in form
> > GNOME2xx. When GNOME 2.x+2 appears, we can let 2.x repository silently
> > die in few weeks or months (i. e. stop updating and building).
>
> or rest forever, because some stupid app does not get ported :/

Hopefully, public part of API is nearly 100% compatible and no porting
is required.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec