Re: Dependency question
  • From: Peter Nixon <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:57:33 +0300
On Mon 29 May 2006 18:48, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> On 2006-05-29 17:03:23 +0300, Peter Nixon wrote:
> > I am building a bunch of packages at present (sipxpbx) which have a
> > convoluted set of dependencies. As it turns out all of the dependencies
> > are provided by SUSE 10.1, some are missing in 10.0 and many more are
> > missing in 9.3
> >
> > For example, one set of dependencies is "ruby, rubygems, rake".
> >
> > Now, given that these are all provided by SUSE 10.1, how can I provide
> > these packages to SUSE 10.0 and 9.3 users? I could of course take the
> > source rpms from 10.1, and add them to my project, but that then means to
> > I am providing a package for 10.1 which already exists..
> >
> > At a minimum I would like a way to enable/disable build targets per
> > package, which would make this solution workable.
> >
> > A more preferable solution (although one that may require a bit more
> > work) would be the ability to link a SUSE 10.1 package into my project
> > which should then be transparently built for my other build targets if
> > they don't provide it.
>
> we have a ruby project. and this ruby project has all needed packages.
> if those packages are pure ruby you can maybe maintain the packages in
> the ruby project aswell. otherwise you can just link the needed packages
> from the ruby project into your project.

Hi Darix

Thanks for the offer, however I only used the ruby dependency as an example
(the package group in question anyway is mostly C++ and java, with a little
ruby tacked onto the web interface). I have exactly the same issue with
another package (slony-I sql replicator) which requires the latest Postgresql
which only comes with SUSE 10.1 and a similar issue with needing java 1.5.0
which doesn't come with SUSE 9.3 for another package. I am sure I will find
more example as I continue adding packages to the system.

This is something that should be solved in a more general way if possible..

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/