Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Linking packages from released distributions
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:29:10 +0200
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2006 16:14 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
> Christian Boltz wrote:
> > Michael Schröder told me that the sources for 10.1 were not
> > uploaded - I think this should be changed ;-)
>
> Sources ? you mean spec files ?

Not only - I mean the complete content of the src.rpms (tarballs,
patches, and specfiles, yes).
In short: everything you need to rebuild a package ;-)

> > The reasons why I do not want to link to the Factory package are
> > the same with for YOU updates - I want to minimize the changes I
> > need to do to the whole system (so: no version upgrades) and would
> > like to have an automated package rebuild in case there's a
> > security update for courier-authlib.
>
> Yes but you could link to the Factory package and define build
> targets as of 10.1, 10.0, ... or not ?

Yes, I could - but I'd like to stick with the version that comes with
the distribution and just add the necessary patch.
As I already said, call it the YOU-approach...

> > Of course, I can upload the 10.1 sources myself - but I don't
> > consider this a very good idea...
>
> No, pristine sources must be referred to by fully qualified URLs and
> downloaded by the build process.
> I don't know how this is currently handled by BS.

You have a choise to enter a filename (probably works with URLs also, I
didn't test that yet) or to upload a file.

But this wasn't my point - I think it's pointless that I have to upload
the sources of SUSE core packages myself.

> > BTW: Can I upload a src.rpm instead of a tarball also?
>
> Why would you want to do that ?

It's easier than separate uploading of the tarball, patches and the spec
file ;-)

> > PS: Maybe wildcard linking would be an interesting feature ("link
> > to package foobar from the distributions I'm building packages
> > for") - but in this case you would need the option to apply a patch
> > to a limited set of your build targets.
> > The alternative is to create a project per target distribution
> > and to apply the patch to the distributions that need it.
>
> No, the pattern for that is to use macros, e.g.
> %if %suse_version >= 1000
> %endif
>
> I'd strongly recommend to use a single spec file all builds, makes
> life so much easier (when you apply a change, patch, new
> version/release, it's a single spec file to manage).

Sounds correct. Since I'm really new to packaging [1], I'm not familar
with these details yet ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] the Fontlinge package [2] is the first RPM I ever built, and the
specfile was mostly done by David Haller ;-)

[2] BTW: Even if it has version 2.1, it isn't the final 2.1 (which
wasn't released yet).

--
Aber bei Sendmail weiss man ja nie, ist ja ne Mischung aus Programmier-
sprache und halben Betriebssystem, die bei geeigneter Konfiguration wie

< Previous Next >