Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Linking packages from released distributions
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:14:12 +0200

Christian Boltz wrote:
> I wanted to create a modified courier-authlib package (to be exact: with
> added mysql backend, requires just a specfile patch AFAIK) for 10.1, but
> wasn't able to link to the package.
>
> Michael Schröder told me that the sources for 10.1 were not uploaded - I
> think this should be changed ;-)

Sources ? you mean spec files ?

> The reasons why I do not want to link to the Factory package are the
> same with for YOU updates - I want to minimize the changes I need to do
> to the whole system (so: no version upgrades) and would like to have an
> automated package rebuild in case there's a security update for
> courier-authlib.

Yes but you could link to the Factory package and define build targets
as of 10.1, 10.0, ... or not ?

> Of course, I can upload the 10.1 sources myself - but I don't consider
> this a very good idea...

No, pristine sources must be referred to by fully qualified URLs and
downloaded by the build process.
I don't know how this is currently handled by BS.

> BTW: Can I upload a src.rpm instead of a tarball also?

Why would you want to do that ?
I don't think that would be a good idea, pristine sources must be
guaranteed.

> PS: Maybe wildcard linking would be an interesting feature ("link to
> package foobar from the distributions I'm building packages for") -
> but in this case you would need the option to apply a patch to a
> limited set of your build targets.
> The alternative is to create a project per target distribution and
> to apply the patch to the distributions that need it.

No, the pattern for that is to use macros, e.g.
%if %suse_version >= 1000
%endif

I'd strongly recommend to use a single spec file all builds, makes life
so much easier (when you apply a change, patch, new version/release,
it's a single spec file to manage).

cheers
- --