Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build target naming
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:07:34 +0200
Am Thursday 25 May 2006 15:50 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> Hello,
>
> when adding a build target (say "SUSE:SL-10.0/standard") I can enter a
> name for that target.
>
> Browsing around on software.opensuse.org, I found several different
> names for the same distribution:
> - SL10.0
> - SuLi100
> - SUSE_Linux_10.0
>
> This is not very user-frendly.
>
> I think the naming should be more standardized - at least in a soft way:
> When choosing something in the "Platform" dropdown, the "Name" field
> should be filled with the name of the selected Platform as default.
>
> In case someone builts on top of another project (like a package for
> KDE4 on SL 10.1), the default should be the underlying distribution
> (here: SL 10.1).
>
> Opinions?

I agree completely, but it is not that easy.

The problem is that you can also define stacked targets (for example build
against new KDE3 for 10.0) or you can have multiple repos for one target
(additional xine packages for example).

So, yes, we should standarize this, but we need also to handle these special
cases.

I would suggest to have a verbale standard to use for example
"SUSE_Linux_10.1" for now for the simple targets.

bye
adrian