Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-bugs (4283 mails)

< Previous Next >
[Bug 1037911] New: Installer seemed confused about encrypted partitions
  • From: bugzilla_noreply@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 18:54:11 +0000
  • Message-id: <bug-1037911-21960@http.bugzilla.opensuse.org/>
http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1037911


Bug ID: 1037911
Summary: Installer seemed confused about encrypted partitions
Classification: openSUSE
Product: openSUSE Distribution
Version: Leap 42.3
Hardware: x86-64
OS: Other
Status: NEW
Severity: Normal
Priority: P5 - None
Component: Installation
Assignee: yast2-maintainers@xxxxxxx
Reporter: nwr10cst-oslnx@xxxxxxxxx
QA Contact: jsrain@xxxxxxxx
Found By: ---
Blocker: ---

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0
Build Identifier:

This is from 42.3, Build 0184. I used the DVD installer (written to a USB).

For partitioning, I clicked on "create partition ..." and then "custom
partitioning".

I wanted to install in existing partitions, mostly using an encrypted LVM
("/dev/sdb5"). I'll note that I did provide the encryption key when prompted.

Most of that worked. However, I also wanted to use "/dev/sdb8" to be mounted
at "/shared". That's an encrypted partition. In the display of partitions,
"/dev/sdb8" was not shown as encrypted. I set it to be mounted as "/shared".
When I did that, the partitioner showed it as using "ext4", which it could only
know by looking inside the encryption. (The display of "/dev/sda8" had similar
problems, but I did not plan to use that).

When I accepted the partitioning, the summary showed:
setup encrypted dm device on /dev/sda8
(that was shown in red)
setup encrypted dm device on /dev/sdb8
(that was shown in black)

During the install it informed me that volume mount of "/dev/sdb8" failed
(trying to mount at "/mnt/shared". The message indicated that the partition
was not valid "ext4". So it apparently attempted to mount without handling the
encryption.

I continued the install, ignoring the error.

On the installed system, neither "/dev/sda8" nor "/dev/sdb8" showed up in
"/etc/crypttab". I added an entry for "/dev/sdb8", and added the appropriate
line to "/etc/fstab", and rebooted. After this reboot, "/dev/sdb8" was
properly mounted as "/shared".

From my point of view, it is a minor issue that I could easily deal with.
However, it might be confusing to other folk.

I'll attach Yast logs.

Reproducible: Always

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
< Previous Next >