Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-bugs (9915 mails)

< Previous Next >
[Bug 230733] raid md devices may get different minor numbers under 10.2
  • From: bugzilla_noreply@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:30:03 -0700 (MST)
  • Message-id: <20070103213003.8792E25C887@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

------- Comment #2 from walter.haidinger@xxxxxx 2007-01-03 14:30 MST -------
I first noticed the change when booting into the rescue system without
/etc/mdadm.conf. The md devices were assembled differently than under 10.1.

I did _not_ change my mdadm.conf during the upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2.

My raid config is as follows:
md0 : active raid1 hde1[1] hda1[0]
md1 : active raid1 hdg1[1] hdc1[0]
md10 : active raid5 hdg5[3] hde5[2] hdc5[0] hda5[1]
md11 : active raid5 hdg6[3] hde6[2] hdc6[0] hda6[1]
md12 : active raid5 hdg7[3] hde7[2] hdc7[0] hda7[1]
md13 : active raid5 hdg8[3] hde8[2] hdc8[0] hda8[1]
md14 : active raid5 hdg9[3] hde9[2] hdc9[1] hda9[0]

DEVICE /dev/hd[aceg]*
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 devices=/dev/hd[ae]1
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 devices=/dev/hd[cg]1
ARRAY /dev/md10 level=raid5 num-devices=4 devices=/dev/hd[aceg]5
ARRAY /dev/md11 level=raid5 num-devices=4 devices=/dev/hd[aceg]6
ARRAY /dev/md12 level=raid5 num-devices=4 devices=/dev/hd[aceg]7
ARRAY /dev/md13 level=raid5 num-devices=4 devices=/dev/hd[aceg]8
ARRAY /dev/md14 level=raid5 num-devices=4 devices=/dev/hd[aceg]9

After upgrading to 10.2, md1 was assembled as md6, md10 as md3, md11 as md4
and md12 as md5. md13 and md14 did not change.

The changes indicate that, despite having an mdadm.conf with UUID entries,
the array was assembled to an earlier configuration, i.e. the one
before the extension with partitions 8 and 9 because of bigger drives.
I changed all raid5 md devices to start from minor 10 back then when I
added md13 and md14.

The settings in mdadm.conf were obviously ignored. Instead the md minor number
stored in the md superblock from the inital md creation was probably used.
Please note that the md minors were always (say, reproducible) assembled
to the same "wrong" (stored?) number.

I had to stop the array and update the super-minor as described in my initial
report to resolve the issue.

I'm sorry but I don't have any logs because I was working in single user mode
only to resolve the problem.

Btw, LVM did manage to assemble all LVs (with some warnings, of course) despite
some PVs lived on the "wrong" md device. :-)

Finally, the steps to reproduce the problem are probably:
* Create md devices with, I don't know, 10.1, 10.0, 9.3 or earlier?
Can't recall when I moved to raid, maybe 3-4 years ago.
* Change the md minors in /etc/mdadm.conf
This should work in < 10.2.
* Boot 10.2 and the md devices should be assembled with the minors from
the initial creation.

Please tell me if you can reproduce the problem with the steps above.
I've had the problem with two completely different machines, one at home
(setup above after upgrading 10.1 to 10.2) and one at work with just raid1
mirrors (running 10.1, booting with 10.2 rescue gave different md minors
which broke the system backup scripts).

Configure bugmail:
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.

< Previous Next >