Installation-CD does not install kernel and initrd!
  • From: Erik Soyez <soyez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:19:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hi there,

I just created an Auto-Installation CD using AutoYast2 (SuSE-8.1). This
seemed to be a great option for our customer to quickly reinstall his
server in case of failure.

# rpm -qa | grep autoy
autoyast2-installation-2.6.38-1
autoyast2-2.6.38-1

After installing the software packages, AutoYast says "18 packages
returned an error". It does not show any details - the detailed list
button shows an empty page.

Then it says something about having problems writing the boot record and
gives a kernel panic when trying to boot the installed system.

Starting a rescue system shows that no kernel or initrd gets installed
under '/boot'.

With the netork installation this problem could be solved including:
<install>
<general>

Why does this not work with a CD? Please help me, this is urgent!

Thanks, Erik.