Re: [opensuse-arm] (Untested) RPI3 image - testers wanted

On 17.03.16 16:02, Guillaume Gardet wrote:

Le 17/03/2016 15:59, Alexander Graf a écrit :

On 17.03.16 15:56, Guillaume Gardet wrote:
Le 17/03/2016 15:48, Guillaume Gardet a écrit :
Le 17/03/2016 15:40, Alexander Graf a écrit :
On 17.03.16 15:25, Bill Merriam wrote:
On Wed, 2016-03-16 at 23:21 +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 16.03.16 20:00, Bill Merriam wrote:
On Thu, 2016-03-03 at 20:18 +0100, Dirk Müller wrote:
Hi,

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/ARM:/Factory:/Contrib:/RaspberryPi2:/Staging/images/

(yeah, I know its the Pi2 path, I was lazy) contains an untested
raspberrypi3 image. I already know that serial is broken, that
seems
to be an upstream issue (due to the changed clock frequencies).

I haven't tested it further yet, need to buy some HDMI capable
screen
first. Let me know your findings.

Greetings,
Dirk
I have successfully installed this image:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/ARM:/Factory:/Contrib:/RaspberryPi2/images/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-JeOS-raspberrypi3.armv7l-2016.03.09-Build5.2.raw.xz

It has several issues with booting. Uboot issues messages for a
while
and eventually comes to a prompt. If I type "boot", it boots
up. At
This is my fault again - as soon as the image got rebuilt with the
fixed
U-Boot package (that was stuck in Factory review for a week) this
error
should be gone.

some point I noticed in dmesg a complaint that the first partition
was
"dirty" and needed an fsck. It is a FAT filesystem and fsck.fat
isn't
That's weird. Sounds like a flushing bug during build?

installed. I installed "dosfstools" and checked the file system.

One of the uboot messages complained that "usbethaddr" was not set.
I don't think we support the usb mac stuff quite yet. If you have
great
ideas how to make it work with upstream U-Boot, we're more than
happy to
see patches :).

Every time it boots it chooses a new MAC address which causes the
dhcp
server to give it a new address every time. I set that variable
and did
a saveenv. I suppose that is supposed to happen somehow during the
first boot.
The way it works without U-Boot is that the RPi bootloader
generates the
mac address from the pi serial number. We should probably do the
same in
U-Boot.

IIRC it then gets passed to the kernel using the kernel command
line.
That's a horrible interface, as it breaks any integration with boot
loaders (like grub2). So if we want to move this to an efi based
boot
mechanism, we need to instead inject the mac address into the device
tree. I'm not quite sure where though - usb is not described in dt.

There are also messages about variables "bootfile" and "pxeuuid"
being
missing. Variable "scan_dev_for_efi" is a script that tries to set
variable "boot_prefixes" but doesn't get it right.
That's the bug that was fixed in u-boot and stuck in review.
Basically
the bootfile definition got included in the scan_dev_for_efi
variable
while it should've been its own variable. I simply forgot the null
terminator.

I will read u-boot documentation and try to figure it out but if
somebody fixes it I can move on to something else.
That leaves the mac address thing to fix :).

Alex
The serial number is available in the One Time Programmable memory.
http://elinux.org/RPI_vcgencmd_usage

vcgencmd otp_dump |grep 28: |cut -b 4-

The MAC address seems to be RPI's prefix b8:27:eb plus the last 3
bytes
of the serial.
This big problem is not how to fetch the 3 bytes. It's how to pass
them
all the way from u-boot via fdt to the kernel and have the kernel
properly use it as the mac address for the usb ethernet adapter.
You may ask on u-boot mailing list. I think u-boot is able to do it
more or less automatically.
Have a look at fdt_fixup_ethernet(...) function.
That only works for devices listed in device tree though, right? The eth
adapter is attached to USB which doesn't list its devices in dt.

Yes, I think so.
Ask on u-boot ML, maybe people would have some idea.

This really is a kernel problem, not a U-Boot one ;). So I asked on the
#armlinux channel.

Apparently someone else felt the same pain on other boards and so we
have all the infrastructure in place soon to deal with this via device tree:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg136469.html
https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/3/621

With these (switching to upstream for RPi will only become realistic
within the 4.6 time frame anyway) and the existing logic in U-Boot to
write the mac address property for ethernet devices, all we need is a
small device tree patch to explicitly list the usb ethernet adapter!