[opensuse-announce] Hack Week III winners
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:39:48 -0400
After very careful deliberation, we've chosen the winners from Hack
Week III. The categories were: Best Cross-Pollination Team, First
Penguin Awards, and the Best Overall Projects.

The Best Cross-Pollination Team: Awards the project that connects
different teams, and raises awareness of each other's work.

First Penguin Award: Awards the project that goes out on a limb to try
something difficult and risky… and probably fails. Named in honor of
the first penguin to jump into the water when there may be predators
swimming below.

Best Overall Projects: Goes to the projects that the panelists thought
were "best" for one reason or other. Surprisingly enough, we had a tie
for first place on this one!

And the winners are:

* Best Cross-Pollination Team: Andrew Wafaa, for his videos of
openSUSE Staff and Members
* First Penguin Award: Lynn Bendixsen and Jason Douglas, for their
work enabling driver upgrades for installing Windows para-virtualized
drivers
* Best Overall Projects:
3rd Place: Cornelius Schumacher, Frank Karlitschek, Sebastian
Trueg, and Dirk Mueller for Social Desktop
1st Place Tie: Jakub Steiner, for designing a replacement for
the openSUSE "headline" font, Cholla
1st Place Tie: Robert Lihm and Andreas Demmer, for their work
improving the openSUSE landing page.

The judges for Hack Week III were: Brady Anderson, Joe 'Zonker'
Brockmeier, Olaf Kirch, Lars Marowsky-Brée, Hendrik Vogelsang, and
Andrew Wafaa. Thanks for their time and effort judging the entries.

Thanks also to everyone who participated in Hack Week. We had a lot of
great ideas and work come out of Hack Week and we learned a lot about
getting the openSUSE community outside of Novell involved in Hack
Week.

At this time, we're planning another Hack Week in the spring 2009 time
frame. More details will be announced then. Have suggestions for
future Hack Weeks? Please let us know!
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
openSUSE Community Manager