[opensuse-announce] OpenOffice_org 3.0-beta available (call for testing)
  • From: Petr Mladek <pmladek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:14:41 +0200
Hi,

I’m happy to announce that the first OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta packages are
available in the Build Service OpenOffice.org:UNSTABLE project.

The package version is 3.0.0.1. It is based on the upstream ooo300-m3
milestone.

Call for testing:

We kindly ask any interested beta testers to try the package and report bugs
into bugzilla.novell.com, see below for more details.

Note that the package is still a beta version and might include even serious
bugs. Therefore it is not intended for data-critical usage. A good practice
is to archive any important data before using it, ...

Where to get it:

The list of installation repositories can be found at
http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories#OpenOffice.org_UNSTABLE

Installation problems:

There are some problems with the version update on older distributions. You
might need to select the right version by hand, see
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenOffice#Dependencies_During_Update

IMPORTANT

The packages with localizations are renamed from OpenOffice_org-<lang> to
OpenOffice_org-l10n-<lang>. Also the localized help content is split into the
optional OpenOffice_org-help-<lang> packages. Finally, the American
localization is split into extra packages OpenOffice_org-l10n-en-US and
OpenOffice_org-help-en-US.

We are sorry, the 64-bit packages are not available for SLED10 and
openSUSE-10.2. You could install the 32-bit (i586) packages there.
We hope to solve the build problems within the following weeks.

Bug reports:

Please report the bugs into https://bugzilla.novell.com/ for the
product "OpenOffice_org 2.0". Do not forget to mention enough information
about the problem, see http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:OOo.

Known bugs:

+ mono extensions does not work

Changes in this version:

The GO-OO project changes are listed at
http://svn.gnome.org/svn/ooo-build/tags/OOO_BUILD_3_0_0_1/NEWS

General information about the build:

The build is based on the GO-OO project. It includes lots bug fixes, features
and optimizations in compare with the regular OpenOffice.org build:

* better startup performance
* improved VBA interoperability
* improved import filters (OOXML, WordPerfect)
* additional import filters (SVG, WordPerfect Graphics, Microsoft
Works, ...)
* native KDE Open/Save dialog
* WebDAV locking
* new 3D slide transitions
* multimedia in Impress via GStreamer
* multiple formula syntax (Calc A1, Excel A1 and Excel R1C1)
* ...

, see also http://go-oo.org/discover/

--
Best Regards,