Re: [suse-amd64] 32-bits vs 64-bits MySQL performance
  • From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:33:17 +0000 (UTC)
> After the benchmarks I have a few questions,
> - Why is the 64-bits version so much slower than the 32-bits version?

Most likely you're running in some scenario where the increased
footprint from 64bit pointers/longs hurts you (e.g. less efficient caching).

It's unlikely that a compiler change would help you much there;
gcc does not change data structures.

If there are tunables in MySQL that allow you to increase the available
memory for caching increasing them may help.

If that doesn't help I would just run the 32bit version on the 64bit kernel.

-Andi