Re: [suse-amd64] Chipset support of SuSE8.2-x86-64-Beta9
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:15:05 +0000 (UTC)
Marco Maske <maskemarco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks Andreas, your answer helped me very much.
>
> Last Question is a working gravic-chip. 3D and or OpenGL must not work
> now and I'm stil happy with Nvidia GeForce460MX. Their drivers I get
> with YOU comes easy and works without problems. I hope there's not only
> serverowner reading here.

nvidia is supposed to have a patch for 64-bit Linux but it's not
stable yet. But SuSE Linux comes with normal (non-3d drivers) for
most (all?) nvidia cards - and also for others...

Andreas

> Andreas Jaeger answers:
>> Marco Maske <maskemarco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> >
>> > I'am Newbie and very interesting of SuSE x86-64 and want built a PC
>> > with the AMD Opteron CPU. I've read there some Problems with the
>> > Asus-SK8N with Nvidia chipset. I've no problems to install SuSE8.x
>> > on x86-32bit or compile some apps. But compile a Kernel is to
>> > difficult for me in the moment.
>>
>> We're currently working to get teh Asus running. You can boot it
>> with acpi=off and it works (but without the onboard network chip).
>>
>> > I don't need the Promise-SATA-Raid chip but need Adaptec2940-SCSI
>> > card for HD and CD-Rom, the Realtec-Lan and ALC-Soundchip. I want
>> > use xfree, KDE, Gimp, Ooffice and Sound with alsa. Have I a chance
>> > to get this "out of box" with the 8.2beta?
>>
>> The rest should work fine.
>>
>> > Or is the Tyan-ThunderK8W (1 CPU fist and <4GBRam) with the AMD8131
>> > chipset the bether choise, means bether support and easier to
>> > install?
>>
>> The Tyan should work just fine.
> --
> Ciao Marco, registered GNU/Linux-User#313353

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@xxxxxxx, http://www.suse.de/~aj
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 N├╝rnberg, Germany