[mirror] some observations about mirror access
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:53:09 +0200
Now that our mirror is running again, our Informatiker-apprentice had a
closer look at the mirror and the traffic over the last 3 days.

He wrote up a brief report, there are some interesting observations.
Looking only at traffic with user-agent "ZYpp <something>":

6677 unique IPv4 addresses, 393 unique IPv6 ditto - about 6%.

apache goes very busy at times, easily hitting the ceiling at 150 active
clients. This was a bit surprising, we didn't expect that much openSUSE
activity in Switzerland (which has 2 other mirrors).

Because of this, I asked him to find out where all that traffic was
coming from and that is quite surprising:

123 different countries, 50 with more than 10 unique addresses. (IPv4
only). These are the top scorers:

country addrs
| us | 1115 |
| de | 768 |
| it | 658 |
| ch | 639 |
| es | 462 |
| fr | 315 |
| br | 312 |
| ru | 234 |
| ca | 143 |
| in | 131 |
| cn | 128 |
| mx | 120 |
| uk | 119 |
| za | 111 |
| pl | 105 |

Some of these are understandable - Italy, France and Germany all border
on Switzerland, maybe our mirror is better connected for some regions?
(difficult to imagine though). But USA, Brazil, Canada, India, China
and Mexico?

Looking at Italy and Spain - Italy has only one mirror, tumbleweed/ is
outdated. update/ is outdated. Spain has only one mirror – address not
found “ftp.gui.uva.es”.

One country code noone immediately recognised - 'af'. Turns out to be
Afghanistan. Seems the Afghani Telecomms tried our mirror from more
than 50 addresses.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.8°C)