Re: [mirror] bad North American links on http://mirrors.opensuse.org/
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 13:25:16 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

Per Jessen composed on 2017-08-01 10:59 (UTC+0200):

Felix Miata wrote:

I clicked on all the North American HTTP links on
http://mirrors.opensuse.org/ trying to find which mirrors zypper
should be able to find.

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/mirrorsNA20170727map.jpg shows a typical
best/preferred mirrors result from opening a .mirrorlist link.

for which parts/sections - distro, tumbleweed, repos, ports, isos
etc?

I had about two dozen tabs open for about 64 hours that would have
enabled answering. You waited more than 75 hours to reply.

Actually, I replied only minutes after reading your posting :-)

Lately all such results have an Atlantic Ocean between them and my
FL location near Tampa, upwards of 6600km as the crow flies to the
ENE. By contrast, Provo is less than 3000km away, and most other NA
mirrors are closer, such as gatech.edu in Atlanta less than 450km
distant.

My depressing findings are color coded on:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/SUSE/osmirrors201707.html

most of what you have marked with yellow appears to be as expected -
you see no tick in the "repositories" column, so they don't mirror
repositories. (or cannot properly sync it).

Thus most packages from repositories and TW must traverse an ocean, as
much as 3X distant as Leap OSS or Updates, to get to me.

That seems to be the case, yes. I guess NA mirrors are less inclined to
mirror tumbleweed and repositories.

For e.g. http://opensuse.cs.utah.edu/opensuse/, it is a bad mirror
config, there is no /opensuse, only /.
See https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/20964

https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/20740 got "closed" quickly with
no follow-up to my comment.

Two different issues, I would say. I am not up-to-date with the mirror
db situation.

For the ones marked in red, mirrorbrain at least knows about it, no
tick marks on the right. Some are poor DNS configs, e.g.
mirrors[12].kernel.org.

I wasn't trying to suggest a lot more than that the active mirror
selection for North America is rather limited, especially so for
repositories.

Okay.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (27.4°C)