Re: [mirror] bad North American links on http://mirrors.opensuse.org/
Per Jessen composed on 2017-08-01 10:59 (UTC+0200):

Felix Miata wrote:

I clicked on all the North American HTTP links on
http://mirrors.opensuse.org/ trying to find which mirrors zypper
should be able to find.

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/mirrorsNA20170727map.jpg shows a typical
best/preferred mirrors result from opening a .mirrorlist link.

for which parts/sections - distro, tumbleweed, repos, ports, isos etc?

I had about two dozen tabs open for about 64 hours that would have enabled
answering. You waited more than 75 hours to reply. I don't remember. Maybe darix
remembers the discussion we had in #opensuse-admin, or still has it in
scrollback, and can help. He said they would investigate further on Friday, but
I never got any notice anything more happened.

Lately all such results have an Atlantic Ocean between them and my FL
location near Tampa, upwards of 6600km as the crow flies to the ENE.
By contrast, Provo is less than 3000km away, and most other NA mirrors
are closer, such as gatech.edu in Atlanta less than 450km distant.

My depressing findings are color coded on:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/SUSE/osmirrors201707.html

most of what you have marked with yellow appears to be as expected - you
see no tick in the "repositories" column, so they don't mirror
repositories. (or cannot properly sync it).
Thus most packages from repositories and TW must traverse an ocean, as much as
3X distant as Leap OSS or Updates, to get to me.

For e.g. http://opensuse.cs.utah.edu/opensuse/, it is a bad mirror
config, there is no /opensuse, only /.
See https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/20964

https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/20740 got "closed" quickly with no
follow-up to my comment.

For the ones marked in red, mirrorbrain at least knows about it, no tick
marks on the right. Some are poor DNS configs, e.g.
mirrors[12].kernel.org.

I wasn't trying to suggest a lot more than that the active mirror selection for
North America is rather limited, especially so for repositories. There were
various complaints from people trying to upgrade to 42.3 or otherwise use repos
last week, timeouts, package unavailable, and unable to access-type things.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/