[suse-mirror] IPv6 vs IPv4 performance for stage.opensuse.org
Dear Mirror hosts,

Based on your reports I've been investigating the issues with IPv6 performance
of stage.opensuse.org vs IPv4

I've been trying to confirm that we do have a problem with IPv6 specifically

We know our bandwidth to stage.opensuse.org is suboptimal at the moment (6 days
to go until we expect that to
be alleviated) but in three sample sizes of ~5 minutes each during periods
where our link seemed to be
comfortable I've been able to come up with the current results

IPv6 - 7.77MB/s | 14.41MB/s | 19.25MB/s
IPv4 - 6.09MB/s | 10.09MB/s | 6.52MB/s

This is from my personal host (rootco.de) hosted at hetzner

These tests were conducted with the default recommended rsync string for all of
our stage.o.o mirrors, with
the addition of -4 for IPv4, -6 for IPv6, and --info=progress2 to get the
average bandwidth calculation out of
rsync.

The general conclusion - At time of writing I can find no evidence that IPv6 is
consistently worse than IPv4
for stage.o.o. It might even be better, though I'd want more thorough testing
before making such claims.

Obviously, I still think there is scope for different results from different
hosts. Peering in particular
could be different for IPv4 vs IPv6. If you notice different performance
profiles for IPv4 vs IPv6 please
report your findings, including source IP addresses and traceroutes. This
information will be especially
useful after March 1st, when we expect our routing to be significantly
different than today.

At time of writing, I can see no sign that anything needs to be changed on
stage.opensuse.org or anything
after the last hop. If the reported problems originate from congestion or
peering, the changes to our link
expected on March 1st will hopefully resolve them all, and if not we'll have to
investigate and resolve with
our new arrangements from then.

Regards,
--
Richard Brown
Technical Lead - openQA

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)