Re: [suse-mirror] Opensuse master rsync server performance
On 02/23/2017 12:46 AM, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
And now this! Oh well. It's in your best interest to fix it asap...
@ERROR: access denied to opensuse-full-really-everything from
sagres.c3sl.ufpr.br (2801:82:80ff:8000::2)

Just a 'me three' here, access denied since yesterday evening, both on
IPv4 and IPv6 though we are a registered mirror.
The reason is probably this (from the rsync output):
You are accessing rsync.opensuse.org under an outdated IP. Please update
your configuration or use DNS resolution.
Well we naturally DO use DNS resolution, and we're trying to access
stage.opensuse.org not rsync.opensuse.org ;)
stage.opensuse.org has address 195.135.221.130
stage.opensuse.org has IPv6 address 2001:67c:2178:8::10
That's the IPs that all authoritative nameservers for opensuse.org (all
under novell.com?) claim...

And while I'm already writing a mail, my n cents on the recent discussion:
- I very much appreciate stage.opensuse.org being restricted to
registered mirrors again, this was actually the case in the past
- The performance problems on stage.o.o currently are most certainly not
due to bad peering as some have assumed. Our FTP is just 7 hops and 8 ms
away from stage, I know for a fact that none of the lines between us and
their ISP is in any way close to capacity, and we still see sync times
of 12hours+ for opensuse-full-with-factory (see history on
https://ftp.fau.de/cgi-bin/show-mirror-status.cgi?mirror=opensuse). This
is just an overloaded connection to SuSE headquarters, also evidenced by
the fact that their GW often pings at around 100 ms instead of 8. For
most mirrors problems should disappear as soon as they receive their
bandwidth upgrade.

Regards,
--
Michael Meier, FTP-Admin
Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg