Re: [suse-mirror] Opensuse master rsync server performance
On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 08:27 -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
Richard Brown (rbrown@xxxxxxx) wrote on Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 06:30:53AM BRT:
We recently had a problem with sync between stage.o.o and rsync.o.o, which
effectively negated the
effectiveness of that second tier of mirrors and also led to uses falling
back to stage.o.o in the event of
not finding a better mirror.

This problem could have been ongoing as long as the last few months.

Yes. We suffer A LOT with slowness too.

rsync.opensuse.org will remain as a public mirror source and should now be
able to better fulfil it's intended role as the 'mirror of last resort' for
our users instead of stage.o.o, leaving more of stage.o.o's bandwidth for
mirror syncing.
I hope that this resolution & rebalancing of the secondary/public mirror
tier
over the last few days will have already sped up what you're seeing with
stage.opensuse.org.

Not here (opensuse.c3sl.ufpr.br). Last update took 18h40m with a speed less
than 1MB/s. That's not enough for the rate of change of your repository.

Thank you Carlos, very useful to know the issue is more widespread

I've just been talking with our network guys and the plans to resolve the
situation are even more advanced
than I already referred to.

stage.opensuse.org is hosted at SUSE HQ which is currently served via 2x
300MBit links.

This is being augmented by an additional 1GBit link expected to go live on
March 1st (ie. just over a week
from now). Assuming that all goes well, one of the 300MBit links will be
retired at the end of March

This is just stage 1 of improvements. In early May we should get a new fiber to
the building, which is
expected to go live on June 1st at a speed no less than 4Gbit. The remaining
300Mbit link will then be
retired, leaving the 1GBit link as our backup

So in short, we're going to have double bandwidth in a week, and 8x our current
bandwidth in a few months.

I still want to investigate Niklas' suggestion because I think it's a good idea
regardless, and generally
we're making an effort to better keep an eye on what is going on with our
mirrors, but I wanted to give a full
breakdown of where we are so everyone knows where everything fits into context.

Thanks again,

--
Richard Brown
Technical Lead - openQA

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)