Re: [suse-mirror] Blogging about 11.3 launch - THANKS!
Dear Keld and all,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 06:24:51PM +0200, Keld Simonsen wrote:
It gave a download speed of 1.15 MB/S or 9 Mbit/s with wget.

That is not much. How good is your connection to the German/European
research network? How fast in general is your connection to Germany? I
don't think we can deliver 10 GBit/sec to Mexico, just to give some
example. Maybe this is problematic for Denmark, too.

You have a 10 Gbit/s line and the overall bandwidth load at your site was
about 1.5 Gbit/s.
So there should be enough excessive bandwidth to play with.

Yes.

Do you have a limit on the line speed per connection?

No, there are not real limits. In my tests it is possible to get 1
GBit/sec with many machines at the same time.

http://ftp.klid.dk/ftp/opensuse/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-KDE4-LiveCD-i686.iso

This was with wget 29.8 MB/s or about 240 Mbit/s - my system has a 1 Gbit/s
connection
and the load was 100 Mbit/s.

I just tried downloading it from ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de and got
about 4,7 MByte/sec (roughly 50 MBit/sec). So I guess the connection
between our servers is not the best.

I then tried to download via bittorrent from your site
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso.torrent

It was something like 3.2 MB/s = 25 Mbit/s. Better than 9 Mbit/s
So is this why your users use BT? They know it is faster than ftp?

I don't know why users actually use BitTorrent. It should be faster,
because many peers participate and provide upstream. This is the theory
and for hot files (think warez?) this works out just fine. We can reach
more than 1 GBit/sec with BitTorrent, there is no real difference to the
HTTP download you tried - I think it suffered the same problem. Besides,
with BitTorrent you need to get the right peer list. Maybe you did not
even download a single byte from our server.

I did not dee any big visible advertisement of the torrents.

Try www.opensuse.org and www.ubuntu.com (or whereever they announce
their downloads). We as a mirror do not advertise, we just seed
(upload).

So you have educated your users to use BT?

No. This is not our job.

I am just wondering how this is done from your side.

We are seeding where we feel like it. This is mostly OpenSUSE, Ubuntu
and CentOS, as far as I remember.