Re: [suse-mirror] klid.dk mirror
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:39:58AM +0100, Peter Poeml wrote:
Hi Keld,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:58:32AM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:22:34PM +0100, Peter Poeml wrote:
Hi Keld,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:05:20PM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
Hi!

ftp.klid.dk is a mirror in Denmark, and we have had a problem with the
data there, as we were using a rsync source that was not responding.
For a week or so we have used another rsync source, and we should be OK
now, but we are not showing up on the opensuse mirror list as having
11.1
isos, repo and update. What is wrong?

best regards
keld

Hm, let's look. I see you on http://mirrors.opensuse.org/ and in the
config everything looks alright.

I see you on
http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/rpm/i586/MozillaFirefox-3.0.4_3.0.5-4.6_1.1.i586.delta.rpm?mirrorlist
and
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.0/iso/cd/openSUSE-11.0-Addon-Lang-i386.iso?mirrorlist

but not for files in the /distribution/11.1 directory.

I see what's wrong in the scan log:

ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.
ftp.klid.dk: ftp status code 550, closing.

The FTP server closed the connection; probably it does CPU usage
accounting and it decided that this client is using too many resources.

Thus the scanner could not advance to 11.1 in the tree.

Can you switch that off for 195.135.220.0/22, or -better- create an
rsync module for me? Access to 195.135.220.0/22 would be sufficient.

I do not know why the 550 code is generated, and I dont know how to
then change that for the opensuse probing - could you tell me where to
look? It seems strange that the probing is ok for 11.0 but not for 11.1

The reason for my suspicion is that I see something *similar* with some
other mirrors, too, and the server basically closes the connection after
a certain time, before the scan completes. (So the files it has seen end
up as known in the database, and the remaining files not. Which is 11.1
in your case.)

But my suspicion is mostly based on assumptions, because in most cases I
have never been able to establish contact with the respective mirror
operator, or never heard back from them. In one case it could actually
be confirmed by the mirror admin identifying messages in his log that
prove it. That was a different FTP server though (not vsftpd). But it
was always some 5xx code, so I thought into the same direction regarding
your mirror, too.

Are there errors related to this in your logs?

Checking vsftpd's source code, there are two possible meanings for code
550 in ftpcodes.h:
#define FTP_FILEFAIL 550
#define FTP_NOPERM 550
Which doesn't sound like resource limiting; and I don't find options
related to cpu usage accounging in vsftpd. 550 seems to indicate local
problems or a configuration issue that prevents access to certain files
or directories. When manually looking around in
ftp://ftp.klid.dk/opensuse/distribution/11.1/ I have no problems though.

Maybe too many open files (default ulimit of 1024?) is sometimes reached
and could produce this error?

I just did another scan, a verbose one, and this one actually completed
without a hitch. (So the files missing before are automatically listed
in the mirror database now.)

It is a bit strange. Could you tell me the ip number/site addres that
you are calling from, and which time? The server is busy and that would
help me locate the log entries.

And, do your script still produce errors?

best regards
keld