Report on SFD 16th September, 2017.
One week after association’s day, we had SFD. We were still excited and highly motivated.
The city lent us a video projector because this way, I can share my screens with everybody present.
The number of visitors was 33. There were already 4 people who sort of booked a session over the phone.
1. A lady has a MacBook and before jumping in at the deep end, wanted to learn more on Linux. She is a teacher and needed some coaching on administrative IT programs like LibreOffice.
2. A couple has 3 PC, two “old” ones and a new one. They wanted to get openSUSE installed. We could not because we do not have 32bit versions and also because their IT knowledge could not warrant such a change.
3. Another lady wanted to purchase a new pc. She had been advised to buy a Lenovo with Ubuntu, a 15” screen, 500 GB HD and 4 Gigs of RAM. I changed her vision for a HP with the double of all that and a 17” screen. She will purchase same and bring over for openSUSE installation.
4. We made 8 openSUSE Leap 42.3 upgrades. (VLC still giving trouble). Plus one complete reinstallation.
5. Oh, our Greek lady had an issue with her Yast update. All sorted out.
6. I had a few interesting debates on ODT, XML and Microsoft format of Office documents. This created a buzz because people suddenly discovered on how to use Linux with MS Office documents from a Windows partition.
7. We went into teaching some basics of openSUSE and also more elaborate matters on Concepts, advanced administration, cloning etc.
8. Strange issue: Around 4 visitors thought that Linux was something that can be uploaded straight in their mind. They thought that the learning was not from their end.
We really had a lot of fun :D
PS. We ended the evening at my step-daughter’s place who cooked for us.
PS1. Now, we are getting ready for Saturday 28th October, next.