This is a sync message collecting key information from the Telegram group (bridged to #docs:opensuse.org and #docs at discord.gg/opensuse) and Trello. These "sync" messages are intended to keep everyone in the Docs team informed utilizing the mailing list. The "sync" messages are going to be sent on a weekly basis or if something is important will be shared pretty much immediately.
If you have something to add please feel free to do so here and will be added by me on Trello for example.
========================================================================= ========================================================================= What we've been discussing on Telegram and Trello since the last meeting:
- Planning the next meeting
Badr said: "I propose another 2 or 3 consecutive meeting since we have a lot to discuss. For example the website, we need to discuss my proposal and any other proposals out there. I've also added some options to discuss regarding the documentation platforms in a Trello list. etc."
Adrian said: " I am all for having more meetings but I also hear those who want to start being productive. How about this: - we meet the upcoming week Thursday or Friday - we carve up our live time so that every subgroup/role (collecting support data, doc contents & platform, videos) have their fare share, perhaps 10-15 min max. - the rest of the time is for new tasks or "meta" things (i.e. adjusting how we work)"
Attila said: "Maybe in the meanwhile we could get a few things rolling on Trello for instance - which I'm going to sync tomorrow to the ML -. Like populating the "Reference documentation" list which already has some really great topics/tasks listed. Would be also nice to settle internally on the platform we going to use."
Infrastructure related: =======================
- Looking into acessing either the Elastic deployment on the openSUSE infrastructure (if exists) or deploying our own by myself for analysing the main openSUSE communication channels. This would aid our effort greatly in terms of prioritizing issues. If I deploy ELK acess will be provider to the Docs/Web/Heroes team as well.
- Moving Trello to a Kanban deployed on openSUSE infrastructure. Maybe we can help out with this the Web/Heroes team. https://en.opensuse.org/Help:Kanban
- We're looking for a documentation platform to be utilized for publishing documentations. Currently we have the following solutions on our list (do feel free and raise your opinion): - Github pages - Read the Docs - MkDocs - Gitbook.com - Gatsby - VuePress - Docusaurus - Antora - en.opensuse.org (current wiki) - Adoc (it uses asciidoc and antora and used for SUSE Manager docs as well, upstream doc: https://www.uyuni-project.org/uyuni-docs/uyuni/index.html Toolchain: https://github.com/uyuni-project/uyuni-docs. Lana said: "interestingly, since we moved the suse manager docs from docbook to adoc, we've also had a huge uptick in external contributors, too")
Actual documentation work =========================
- Reference documentation list population. Currently has the following items and looking to add more: - Comparison chart for supported desktop environments? - Guide similar to GNOME guide for all supported desktops - Tumbleweed snapshots workflow vs. Tumbleweed packages workflow - Teams:
You can find more here: https://en.opensuse.org/Opensuse-docs/prep-meeting-10-23#Roles
Still looking for volunteers fo the Video team, Collectors of Most Pressing Issues and writers of course. If interested feel free to reach out!
As a refresher from the last meeting:
"2) Continuity Job => Make sure no one is left behind, takes minutes in meetings and tries to keep the mailing list people in the loop, keep tabs on who does what, etc.
- Pressing Issues
Job => Mobilize search & data aggregation tools (oS Heroes may grant access to Elastic Search). Consolidate data about the pressing issues.
Attila volunteers for 2 and 3.
- Ivo, Emmanuel
- They will work on a script they will share on the wiki.
- explain the differences between the distros & differences with Debian-based
distros 2) Yast & openSUSE specifics, especially YaST 3) Plasma "tips & tricks": power-user workflows, widgets, tiling features, exposé-like features, mult-desktops / multi-monitors They will get in touch with the marketing department, seeking for help and syncing up for *promotional* contents. They will share their exact needs.
-- Br, A.