--- Comment #49 from Gary Ching-Pang Lin <glin(a)suse.com> ---
(In reply to Gary Ching-Pang Lin from comment #48)
(In reply to Ren� Neumaier from comment #47)
I am not sure rather that's the right place
or not because my issue is
pretty similar, but with Leap 15.3 and Tumbleweed while I am trying to
create a fresh install.
I have gotten a new Fujitsu Lifebook U7411 for testing purposes and want to
create a proof of concept regarding the system compatibility. I have been
trying to install Leap 15.3 and Tumbleweed here. But after choosing the boot
medium USB, I get the following weird message and 3 sec. later, the system
Instead of GRUB, I get the following console message:
get_second_stage() failed: Invalid Parameter
Something has gone seriously wrong: shim_init() failed: Invalid Parameter
I have never seen that before with other devices.
That's a new symptom after upgrading to shim 15.4. Per the given error
message, it could happen due to either NULL system handler from the firmware
or some strange memory corruption in get_second_stage().
I found that your error is actually slightly different from the error in
comment#0. Yours didn't contain this line:
Failed to get load options: Invalid Parameter
I have been
* Secure boot - on/off --> no difference
* TPM on/off --> no difference
* Different USB pens --> no difference
* Tumbleweed and 15.3 NET installer image --> isn't working
* Tumbleweed and 15.3 DVD installer image --> isn't working
* Verified installation media and iso checksum
* "dd" to creating the USB pen --> no difference
* openSUSE "imagewriter" to creating the USB pen --> no difference
* 15.3 DVD installer USB pen can boot onto another device
* Ubuntu and ArchLinux installer --> is working with Fujitsu U7411 (no
* 15.2 DVD installer usb pen --> is working with Fujitsu U7411 (no secboot)
* I was able to do a 15.2 installation and afterwards a 15.3 migration
Leap 15.3 incl. secure boot is working
That's an interesting result. You did the 15.3 migration successfully so
shim.efi was upgraded to the same one as the 15.3 installation media.
However, it's working now in the migrated system. Maybe the different boot
paths trigger different results.
I suspect that the newly added boot option checks caused your error.
Could you provide the results of the following commands?
# efibootmgr -v
# for opt in /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/Boot0*; do echo $opt; hexdump -C $opt;
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.