Re: [radeonhd] RandR connector names [Poll/Discussion]
  • From: "Rafał Miłecki" <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:17:05 +0200
2008/10/15 Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>:
So please post your conclusion, especially if you can back it up with
experience or configurations that would work well in one of the
scenarios, but not in the other.

I don't really see point of using "analog" and "digital" suffixes. OK, there is:
you can (theoretically) drive both the analog and digital lines on a
DVI port, even with different signals
but I belive this is strictly theoretical situation only. I've never
seen such a solution in practice, did anyone? If this may be needed in
future for development, maybe make this splitting as an option?

Moreover I also don't see point of using -I and -D suffixes for DVI.
OK, I know there is some difference, but really... don't think end
user cares about it. If someone needs to know what kind of output in
on GPU - instruction is for that. Plus maybe we can also put info to
Xorg.0.log.

Last confusing thing in my opinion is using DVI-D for HDMI output.
Maybe it has the same pins as DVI, maybe every driver calls it DVI...
but it's just confusing. In every GPU/notebook documentation with HDMI
otuput you will see "HDMI" not "DVI". So that makes little mess. I
think it would be nice to create HDMI_n names.

Thanks for asking us :) That's great you listen opinions from simple
end-users :)

And everybody: comment my ideas as well, please :)

--
Rafał Miłecki