Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 12.1 is not a major release
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:46:19 -0800
On Thursday, November 24, 2011 03:43:49 PM Dennis Gallien wrote:
On Thursday, November 24, 2011 01:31 PM Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Thursday, November 24, 2011 01:08:12 PM Dennis Gallien wrote:
If on the other hand our real target users are those like most of
us, i.e., intermediate and power users, sysadmins, developers,
engineers, free-software disciples, etc. then I entirely withdraw
my initial recommendations. While we should expect there to be no
genuine "show-stopper" bugs, otherwise the vast majority of us and
others that may join us are able to work thru the inevitable
glitches in a new release. Some of us will (and many do) wait for
later stability, others will jump in immediately. We understand
the trade-offs. We may get frustrated, but we certainly shouldn't
be surprised.

The above quote is more our target. "Linux for adults." Though we don't
mind the newb, we have no intention of dumbing down any of our tech. If
you want commercial grade stability and support you get SUSE Linux
Enterprise, openSUSE has no warranties.

Thx for the reply, although linux for "adults" might be a bit, er,
undiplomatic. :)

Personally, I'm not only fine with that focus, I prefer it.

If this has been clearly communicated in our public positioning and
announcements for potential new users coming from Windows, I sure have
missed it and apologize profusely. Mea culpa. Perhaps you would point me
to what I've overlooked?

Since my concern appears to have been one of messaging rather than project
strategy (and since you are an Ambassador), may I also just add that IMHO
the "not for beginners" message (or some qualification thereof, such as
"beginners but only the adventurous") is missing from the user forums.
Maybe that has changed in the last couple years, and if so, a second mea
culpa. But having spent a heckuva lot of time working the forums, I can
testify to the (painful) wave of beginners that hit us following every
release. Eventually I couldn't afford the time any longer. That's why I
switched to the mailing lists where, ya know, more of the adults live ;-)

'Nough said. This has taken a lot more of folks' time than intended.
Thanks much again, for the clarification.
Yeah, our marketing could benefit from better clarity and a little less hype
and spin. Frankly though, unlike Canonical or RedHat which are very top
down... we on the other hand, despite our relation to SUSE are given enormous
freedom with our project. Whether that is good or bad is up to the case or the
opinion. But what that certainly does mean is that the concept of say "project
management" becomes more a matter of herding cats than anything. And thanks to
the fanboyism of the Gnome and KDE guys, it sometimes is herding two battling
herds of cats.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador