Re: [opensuse] KDE3 on 11.3 ??
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:56:54 +0200
2010. július 24. 22:06 napon Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx> írta:

Correction. It was a claim by KDE3's devs that they couldn't fix it, without
complete rewrite. This rewrite became plasma in kde4

Well, I do not care of the code, whether it needed a complete
rewrite or not; I accept that it was necessary to start it from
scratch. But the developers should have followed KDE's tradition
and at least keep base functionalities that made KDE superior to
other desktop managers and made KDE so attractive.

When KDE4 came out I expected it to have the
same options/possibilities as in KDE 3 plus more. Instead of this
I got a completely different desktop manager nothing to do with
KDE3, unstable, buggy etc, and that less than beta quality release
was claimed by openSUSE as "at least an adequate replacement for KDE3".

And there would no be rants and claims about it if the price of this would not
be the exclusion of KDE3 from the official version of openSUSE (and some other
distos as well).