Re: [opensuse] Re: rpm v. zypper: package list should be same? yes? How to sync?
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:35:45 -0400
* Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> [05-07-10 07:45]:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
No! Linux is case-sensitive.
And linux is famous for not being user-friendly. Something many
people would like to see changed.

Yes, the command-line is known for not being user-friendly, but not the
gooie. The gooie *has* changed that.

Default should be case-sensitive, no problem about an option to
toggle/change that, perhaps with prominent notice. But default should
be least surprise and history would make that case-sensitive.

And now your using Bill Gates logic that linux can't progress
because it has to be backward compatible with a poor interface?

"Bill Gates logic", now that's an oxymoron! But, yes, things need to be
backward compatable. Poor interface ??

Are you a windows-counter agent?

Are you daft?

You need to think about what experienced users (ah, that would be
me, who's used unix/linux since late 80's) can deal with, and what
would make linux more popular and optimize the result.

Why, you poor young thing. :^) To be so young.

It's a simple multivariate equation. Solve for maximum. zypper isn't a
program with a long history. There are few compatibility issues other
than people being stuck in their old ways. But if you cater to them, no
progress will ever be made.

You see *only* the small picture. Zypper must accept what the rest of
linux accepts or it is different and in this case, that is bad, leads to
confusion.

Being the person bitten by this instance of the bug (because I'm not
used to differing case being accepted by two different package managers
on linux, I am stating what would have made the situation acceptable to
me -- as someone who as used unix and/or linux for over 20 years. A
simple notification that it had ignored my case to make a match would
be fine with me.

Agreed, it should not have ignored case and should have reported that it
acted contrary to expected.

It would also make it more user friendly, which I think is a good thing.

User friendly is a "good thing" but not when it deviates from the "norm".

You aren't capable of adapting?

I have been *adapting* for 69 years :^).

-l

+2