Re: [opensuse] Linux on a single computer
  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:04:15 -0800
On December 15, 2009 09:10:50 am lynn wrote:
On Tuesday 15 December 2009 13:51:35 James Knott wrote:
Well, you're well aware of OpenSUSE and I suppose you may have a spare
computer handy. Why not just give it a try as a desktop OS. I think
you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hi James, Hi everyone.
I use desktop computers at work so I know they work on a network. The three
laptops I tried: eeeps, acer one and hp pavillion would not connect to
Internet with opensuse even after several hours downloading with a wired
connection and booting from the 11.2 kde live usb memory stick. Pull the
wire and the wireless is useless unless you have several more hours to
search how to do it. I can get a wired connection to a Desktop computer on
the network in a few minutes by setting the squid port on the client using
Yast. I suppose that's what prevents many from using it at home. But I've
not given up yet. L x

I have five computers here, all running versions of OpenSuse Linux.

A Desktop, used as an audio file server and main file keeper, running 11.0.
My wife's desktop, running 11.0 for email and word processing and some games.
My laptop, running 11.2 /KDE4.3.4, although i do have Virtual Box installed
for a diabetes management program, and CrossOver Office for some old legacy
software I don't want to lose access to.
Another desktop which actually dual boots XP/Opensuse 11.2 - used mainly for
accounting in Linux, and some government elections software in XP
My work Desktop - which runs only Opensuse 11.0 - for accounting, email,
documents production, etc.
I live in BC, in western Canada.

--
Bob Smits bob@xxxxxxxxx