Re: [opensuse] Re: Removing KDE:43 repo (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Difference between kde repo's)
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 06:55:49 +0000
On Thursday 07 Jan 2010 00:25:17 David C. Rankin wrote:
ianseeks wrote:
On Wednesday 06 Jan 2010 21:10:46 Sven Burmeister wrote:
No, there will be no more KDE 4.3 releases and fixes it is all about 4.4
now.

Lets hope they fully update KDE4:/STABLE on 11.2 soon, I'm sitting here
with a broken KDE4 on my 11.2 due to this repo.i.e. "Couldn't find the
requested component: folderview" then it falls back to CLI before it even
gets to log in.

Ian

AARGH,... I just got all the 4.3 repos setup :-(

ianseeks,

Not to worry Ian, you can rest assured that once they fix what ails
you at
the moment, two more regressions will appear and cripple you somewhere
else. In the mean time, go do some desktop comparisons. Enlightenment
(both E16 and E17) Rock! Openbox and the rest of the "box-tops" (blackbox,
fluxbox, etc..) Rock! Gnome Rocks! KDE3 still Rocks! LXDE Rocks! and KDE4
Rocks (most of the time). Heck, I even like IceWM and FVWM2.

The point to be made is all desktops and wm's have their strengths and
weaknesses. Were it not for the pre-release of alpha grade kde4, I would
have missed out on a lot of great desktops that I just wouldn't have felt
the need to look at. As bad as gnome gets kicked around on this list, you
would think it was horrible or something. Nothing could be further from
the truth. Enlightenment - it will just blow you away with some of the
smarts tucked inside. E16 is the current stable, is light on the hardware,
and incredibly efficient from a usability standpoint. Openbox, with tint2
panel, and obconf and obmenu and wallmenu3 is a fully functional
lightweight desktop. Icewm, fvwm2, and fluxbox all have good logic and
good theme packages and are a joy to work with.

But with all, what you will find is none compare to the toolset
provided
by kde natively. But on the plus side, all of the desktops run kde3/4 apps
just fine. So, if kde4 is dead-in-the-water for you at the moment, go load
e16 or e17 (gorgeous but still a work in progress) from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Enlightenment and enjoy.
For a comparison if you say E17 is about 90% complete, that would compare
to KDE4 being about 85% complete to give you some idea of where e17 sits.
It's fine for a daily driver. The default "winter" theme for e17 is
boring, but you can find excellent e16 and e17 themes with google.

The other repos you will want to check out for these desktops,
add/browse:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/lxde/openSUSE_11.2/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/windowmanagers/openSUSE_11.2
/ http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/xfce/openSUSE_11.2/

Good luck.

Thanks David, the problem is on my laptop which i'm using as a test machine
at the moment so its not critical. I always keep my work machine at least one
release behind. I could always just re-install 11.2 and not add the KDE4
repos and i'd be fine.

regards

Ian