Re: [opensuse] KDE4: How do I get it to stop opening terminals in ~/Documents
  • From: phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 04:09:02 +0530
<< major rant following; skip unless you're in the mood... >>

On Friday 02 October 2009 01:58:18 am David C. Rankin wrote:

And... I'm but a mere 43, not grumpy and have no veranda (It's called a
porch in Texas)

i know you're not 65, i've seen the photo on your website. i'm actually your
'senior' -- in years (10), and i suspect grumpyness too.

but I do lament the days gone by when the complete focus of the KDE
team was on (1) logical ease of use, accomplished in (2) the least number
of mouse clicks or keystokes possible. And, yes, I do feel that focus has
been completely lost on the current generation of kde developers.

yes, i'm also not happy how linux gets more and more focused on gui & eye
candy. sure, it's a lot easier for many things, and lynx isn't my favorite
webbrowser, but still...

for a long time i've been using fluxbox with KDE applications (both 3 & 4),
but after upgrading my machine recently the speed gain became immaterial and
i stuck to KDE 4.3. still don't like the plastic finish, but it's not causing
any major disturbance.

But no, I don't dream of days gone by, I am a fully committed kde4
supporter and user. (138 bug reports worth IIRC). I like the desktop, but
I am opinionated, and I am of the firm opinion that the readiness of KDE4
was grossly misrepresented starting in June '08, and that is it just now
reaching an honest '.04' first release state.

agreed.

I also hold a great many other opinions, as many good as bad, but it is
just determined by the way an issue hits me as to the one you will get.

i have no problem with that, but i also understand how developrs can get
upset at the not-so-friendly tone you sometimes use. they are spending their
time developing what we are using, and sometimes you really don't sound as
if you appreciated that. i'm pretty sure that impression is wrong, but that
isn't always clear from some of your posts.

at the same time some of the developers are too quick to take offense and
treat users that don't agree with them badly. that's life, i guess; people
do get affected by stress and many other things in their lives, and this
medium make it easy to say things one probably wouldn't say face-to-face.

thing is emotional outbursts don't help to get one's point across. once
either or both parties get angry it becomes more difficult to listen to each
other -- but that's required to solve problems. developers need users like
you to point out what could or should be done better, and users need
developers, or there won't be anything to use, of course.

doesn't seem feasible to always control one's emotions--we're humans after
all; therefore the point i was trying to make is not to take such emotional
outbursts too seriously.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I don't sugar-coat anything;-)

wouldn't have noticed... :o

--
phani.