Re: [opensuse] Hotel connection problem
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:52:51 -0400
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Per Jessen wrote:

Mark Misulich wrote:

Hi,
I am at a hotel in China where I can't get onto the internet with
linux. [snip]
I am connected with a cable connection via ethernet, and can get linux
to connect to the hotel network via knetwork manager.Â

So you do have a connection then.  Do you have name resolution working?
Try "dig www.opensuse.org" from the command line.
Then try "ping www.opensuse.org".

If both of those work, you're on-line.

Unfortunately, many pay services do weird things to get you to the
login/pay page, per the OP. The fact that you have a physical connection
does not always enable routing of traffic from your MAC.

I would suggest ensuring that Javascript & cookies are enabled - many of
the pay sites/processes require such gyrations on the client side.

You might also watch closly on a Windoze machine that works - there's a
small chance of some IE specific code doing the redirect to the login
page. If you can catch what is happening on the first connect, it might
give you a clue as to what you're missing on the Linux side.

If you can, try launching directly TO the login page to authenticate/pay.

       Lee
--

Hi,
your thoughts are the same as mine, I wrote the URL addresses of the

Mark