Re: [opensuse] 11.1 install question
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 00:37:38 -0500
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 15:52 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
I've done a clean install of 11.1. I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x.
the logon I have gdm not kdm.
I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still
have a
gnome desktop.

What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop
NO gnome?

I installed 11.1 carefully selecting kde 3.5 and logged on for the
first time
and I was starring at the kde4 desktop. Others have reported similar to your

After my experience, I can't remember if I just selected kde3 from the
kdm menu
or changed the startx script from /usr/bin/startkde to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde

I think you can simple use yast to remove gdm and install kdm if it
installed already. Then, someone else will have to chime in on where the
is in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/X11

From what I have experienced doing a few 11.1 installs, there is a
good bit of KDE4 included in even the minimum KDE3 install. I have
found that the failsafe desktop looks more like KDE4 than it does KDE3,
and a kdesu konqueror produces the DKE4 Konqueor not the KDE3 Konqueror.