Re: [opensuse] 11.1 install question
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 00:37:38 -0500
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 15:52 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
I've done a clean install of 11.1. I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x.
At
the logon I have gdm not kdm.
I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still
have a
gnome desktop.

What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop
with
NO gnome?

Thanks
Mark

Answer: UNKNOWN

I installed 11.1 carefully selecting kde 3.5 and logged on for the
first time
and I was starring at the kde4 desktop. Others have reported similar to your
experience.

After my experience, I can't remember if I just selected kde3 from the
kdm menu
or changed the startx script from /usr/bin/startkde to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde

I think you can simple use yast to remove gdm and install kdm if it
isn't
installed already. Then, someone else will have to chime in on where the
setting
is in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/X11

From what I have experienced doing a few 11.1 installs, there is a
good bit of KDE4 included in even the minimum KDE3 install. I have
found that the failsafe desktop looks more like KDE4 than it does KDE3,
and a kdesu konqueror produces the DKE4 Konqueor not the KDE3 Konqueror.
YMMV.